If you are looking for an amazing opportunity, please come and join our CoveCare Center family. CoveCare Center has a full-time opening Peer Specialist We are seeking an individual who shares our vision of partnering with individuals, families, and the community to foster hope, wellness, and recovery.
The Peer Specialist provides care management and support services to individuals accessing services within the Mental Health Clinic. Candidate must have experience with mental health or substance abuse recovery and be willing to share his or her experience, strength, and hope in case work with clients. Additionally, the Peer Specialist works in partnership with the clinical staff to facilitate engagement, communication, person-centered planning, self-advocacy, and empowerment.
- Liaisons with community resources, especially those concerning peer-run services and advocacy (e.g. Mental Health Association (MHA), New York Association for Psychosocial Rehabilitation Services (NYAPRS);
- When appropriate, shares personal experience and recovery journey in the mental health system with program participants to model principles of recovery and wellness;
- Assists program participants with developing Advance Directives, WRAP, Etc.;
- Assists program participants with paperwork demands when needed;
- Contacts new or disengaged program participants to facilitate engagement in treatment;
- Makes home visits to program participants who have missed appointments and are unresponsive to calls;
- Meets individually and in group settings, and provides care management on site, at satellite sites, in the field and/or in the program participant’s home;
- Participates in interdisciplinary team rounds and conferences;
- Refers program participants to ancillary services;
- Assists with program crises;
- Provides consultation and advocacy for program participants in inpatient, residential and independent living situations, including on-site visits and discharge meetings as needed;
- Visits program participants hospitalized in local inpatient behavioral health settings in order to facilitate discharge plans;
- Assists program with oversight of doctor-only program participants;
- Assists program with oversight of program participants who are high users of hospitalization, ER, crisis phone or other crisis services, and/or who are identified as high-risk;
- Accompanies program participants to offsite activities (drives agency vehicles);
- Maintains records in an accurate and timely manner in accordance with regulations;
- Collects and synthesizes data for use in problem solving in order to assess and address a program participant’s needs;
- Maintains and disseminates information on community resources, particularly public benefits and entitlements;
- General responsibilities:
- Attends workshops, conferences and staff development training seminars on current practices as directed by the Program Coordinator or supervisor to acquire continuing education in the appropriate field; implements what has been learned;
- Maintains cooperative relationships with all referents and community resources
- Undertakes related duties as assigned;
High School Degree or equivalent required, as well as some peer advocacy training. Some college/bachelor’s degree and/or some experience working in the mental health field preferred. Personal experience in navigating mental health/substance use services and ability to model principles of recovery and wellness are required. Applicant must be able to draw on his/her own personal experience while being able to transcend own personal events to articulate the experience of the served individual. Must have basic computer literacy and excellent verbal and written skills. Valid driver’s license required and use of own car may be needed.
CoveCare Center offers a comprehensive benefits package for all full-time employees! Our benefits include excellent paid time off, medical, dental, vision, life, short term, and long-term disability insurance along with a 401(k) plan with an employer match. All benefits start 1st of the month following 30 days of employment.