The Science of Peer Support
The Research about Peer Support shows its Many Benefits.
Peer support provides a wide variety of benefits. These benefits are confirmed and explained by scientific investigation and studies.
Overall, studies have found that peer support:
- Decreases morbidity and mortality rates
- Increases life expectancy
- Increases knowledge of a disease
- Improves self-efficacy
- Improves self-reported health status and self-care skills, including medication adherence
- Reduces use of emergency services
Additionally, providers of peer support report less depression, heightened self-esteem and self-efficacy, and improved quality of life.1