New York, NY
| On Location / In Office
$30,188 - $44,100/yr.
Association to Benefit Children (ABC), a non-profit dedicated to ensuring that every child has a joyful, healthy, and safe life through compassionate and innovative programs since 1986. ABC is hiring a full-time Parent Advocate for its clinic-based team serving children and adolescents.
ABC’s programs are designed to permanently break the cycles of abuse, neglect, sickness and homelessness. ABC has programs in many areas, including early childhood education, health care services, housing assistance, mental health services, family preservation, crisis intervention, recreational services, job training and employment assistance, therapeutic after school and summer day camp programs, mentoring and legal advocacy.
About our team: ABC’s Fast Break program conducts mental health screening, individual and group counseling, and capacity-building training for parents at 4 different clinic sites.
Responsibilities of the Parent Advocate
- The Parent Advocate is a critical part of the treatment team, offering the parent support with the referral process to the school-based team or to outside resources, and offering resources for families within their communities to meet their needs.
- The Parent Advocate will also play a key role in identifying and addressing any barriers to connecting to appropriate services and helping the family to address any reluctance related to stigma, as well as concrete barriers.
- They will work hand in hand with clinical staff, and support parents in navigating other systems of care and addressing psychosocial needs that may be impeding their access.
- In addition, the Parent Advocate will work alongside the clinical staff to offer workshops for parents around mental health topics to reduce stigma and provide psycho-education.
Qualifications of the Parent Advocate
- Must be a parent or primary caregiver with “lived experience” parenting a child with behavioral/emotional needs or other developmental needs, including the experience of interacting within a variety of systems of care.
- Bilingual English/Spanish REQUIRED
- Comfort providing advocacy coordinating services and empowering families
- Good communication skills and able to complete documentation
Benefits of the Parent Advocate at ABC
- Full-time W-2 position with full insurance benefits!
- Medical insurance: EPO, PPO, and Health Savings Account (HSA) plans
- Dental and life insurance
- Vision insurance (base premiums covered by employer)
- 403(b) retirement plan with employer matching funds
- Commuter benefits
- Training opportunities for professional development
- Parental leave (maternity and paternity)
- 30 PTO days accrued per year! Additional PTO options available for blood donation leave and voting leave.
- Be a part of a local, female-led organization with a strong community presence in education and mental health
COVID-19 vaccination required before working on-site.