Youth Peer Advocate – Suicide Prevention
Part-Time | On Location / In Office
$18 - $18/hr.
Position: Suicide Prevention/ Youth Peer Advocate
Program/Department: Services for People Living With Disabilities
Work Location: 1310 Rockaway Parkway, Brooklyn
Hours: Part Time 20 to 25 hours per week, schedules based the following days and times: Monday-Friday 1pm-9pm and Saturday 10am-6pm,
This position is 100% fully in-person. No remote work available
Salary Range : $18.00 – $18.00 per hour
BCS partners with people to overcome obstacles on their pathway toward self-determination. Since1866, founded on the principle of neighbors helping neighbors, BCS has worked in neighborhoods impacted by systemic poverty. Today, we continue to strengthen communities by fostering the educational success of children, the leadership development of youth, the employment and housing stability of adults, the advancement of individuals living with disabilities, and the empowerment of seniors and families. Our work is rooted in the struggle for social justice and through action and advocacy we commit to shine a light on barriers that perpetuate inequitable systems as a part of the collective effort to ignite change. BCS serves more than 20,000 people in 42+ programs through the work of approximately 400 staff and 900 volunteers.
Position Overview: The Suicide Prevention Programs for Hispanic/Latino, black/African American, Asian American/Pacific Islander, American Indian/Alaskan Native and LGBTQI+ New York Youth and Young Adults age 18-24. The Team Leader ensures an effective therapeutic milieu is established and ingrained in all aspects of the Suicide Prevention Program through the application of best practices in their work with youth and families. The primary role of this position is to establish a healthy relationship with each participant in the group and provide guidance, modeling, and opportunities for the youth as well as, independent living and parenting skills.
- Conducts phone and field outreach to locate and enroll young adults into programs
- Works collaboratively with team members.
- Builds relationship and trust with clients/consumers/members and his/her family/caregiver and assists with their interactions with professionals on the team.
- Educates clients/consumers/members about program services, benefits, and self-help techniques. Serves as a role model, advocate and mentor. Escorts clients/consumers/members to appointments as needed.
- Advocates effective recovery based services on behalf of clients/consumers/members. Assists in clarifying rehabilitation and recovery goals.
- Teaches symptom management and coping skills. Supports and encourages young adults to take a proactive role in their recovery process.
- Reviews service plans with clients/consumers/members and their families or caregivers. Provides ongoing education, guidance, support and encouragement.
- Develops inventory of resources that will meet the clients/consumers/members needs as identified in the assessment process. Provides navigation services to help clients/consumers/members connect with community-based services and supports.
- Documents clients contacts in accordance with program policies/procedures
- Participates in case conferences, staff meetings and training programs.
- Fingerprinting and Criminal Background Check is required.
- BCS and Turning Point require that all employees entering the workplace be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless an exemption is granted as a medical or religious accommodation
High School Diploma or the equivalent Required Certified Peer Specialist certification
Minimum of one year experience in a mental health, health care or human services setting Required Experience working with Young Adults population Preferred.
Effective oral /written/interpersonal communication skills and ability to work independently required
BCS and Turning Point require that all employees entering the workplace be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless an exemption is granted as a medical or religious accommodation.
BCS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities
Posted On: December 4, 2023
Full-Time | Remote
$21 - $21/hr.
Full-Time | On Location / In Office
$20 - $22/hr.