| On Location / In Office
$50,000 - $60,000/yr.
Department of Surgery / Trauma Division
Job Description – VETO Peer Ally Trauma Healing (PATH)
PEER COACH – VETO
In response to the increase in violence, Jamaica Hospital Medical Center, Level 1 Trauma Center, located in South Queens, NY is committed to addressing the root causes of trauma recidivism which has plagued our community. The Violence Elimination and Trauma Outreach (VETO) Program is our Hospital-Based Violence Intervention Program (HVIP) serving teenaged and adult victims of interpersonal violence. We are seeking a full-time Peer Ally Trauma Healing (PATH) Coach to provide crisis response, conflict mediation, case management, and mentoring to VETO participants. The PATH Coach is a team member of the Trauma Division and will work under the supervision of the VETO Program Manager, Social Worker, and the Department Administrator.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide trauma-informed peer counseling and bedside crisis response to our violently injured patients receiving care in the Trauma Department
- Carry a caseload of 10-20 patients, as assigned by the Program Manager and/or Social Worker.
- Schedule and escort patients to wellness-related appointments (medical, educational, employment, legal, health, social service, etc.)
- Advocate with service providers on behalf of patients
- Provide information and referral services to patients and their families.
- Maintain accurate documentation of information (for e.g., record of interactions, demographics, referral logs, etc.) regarding hospital patients, VETO participants, and their families.
- Assist patients in identifying solutions for complex cases and achieving their immediate, secondary, and long-term goals.
- Follow-up with patients and their families until identified goals are met.
- Attend appropriate project meetings, community meetings and in-services and
- educational opportunities
- Perform other duties assigned by the Program Manager, Social Worker, and/or Administrator of the Department
- High School Diploma/GED or 2 years of case management experience required.
- Minimum one-year experience providing peer services to violently injured people.
- Must have a working knowledge of community resources.
- Intermediate level of proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and Teams) and ability to access multiple web applications.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to meet short deadlines.
- Respect and empathy towards diverse client populations
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to work in stressful situations.
- Active/Current Peer New York Recovery Specialist certification or Peer Support Specialist certification
- Experience hosting workshops, trainings, and community-based events
- Fluency in Spanish and/or Haitian Creole in addition to English
- Knowledge of urban youth issues, specifically youth violence
- Applicants with personal experience in overcoming violence/violence-related injuries/the criminal justice system are encouraged to apply
SALARY: $50,000 TO $60,000 (DOE)er
For Immediate Consideration Forward Resume to
Anthony Johnson, Talent Acquistion Manager
Jamaica Hospital Medical Center