| On Location / In Office
$21 - $23/hr.
For over 117 years, Catholic Charities Brooklyn and Queens has been providing quality social services to the neighborhoods of Brooklyn and Queens, and currently offers 160-plus programs and services for children, youth, adults, seniors, and those struggling with mental illness.
Our Queens Care Coordination program delivers comprehensive, community-based services for adults living with serious mental illness, and ensures clients have access to uninterrupted and coordinated behavioral and physical health services while addressing the social determinants of health that impact daily living. The Peer Coordinator will address a host of issues that impact clients directly such as housing, access to nutritious food, economic security/benefits, medication adherence, linkage with outpatient treatment providers or other community resources and social supports. This position requires delivering services to individuals in their home and within the community.
STATEMENT OF THE JOB:
The Peer Coordinator is responsible for providing direct services and mentorship to clients who have complex medical, behavioral, and long term care needs. The Peer Coordinator will reduce barriers in access to care and services by maintaining the established path for clients – regardless of insurance, race, ethnicity, religion, or socioeconomic status – have access to benefits and services to meet their needs. Service will be provided through the firsthand knowledge and experience regarding steps taken toward integration into communities, integration of physical and mental health care services that will lead to a healthier and more productive life. The goal of the Peer Coordinator is to promote rehabilitation and recovery oriented activities among clients, which will decrease high volume of high cost services including inpatient and long term institutional care. Peer Coordinator will assist with assessment of clients’, connection to services and benefits, and adjustment in the community.
* Explore the benefits and service needs of clients, their eligibility and facilitate connections to benefits and services.
* Connect clients to behavioral health services, substance use services, medical services and social service supports.
* Reach out to community providers to assist management in recruiting clients to the program.
* Meet requirement for qualitative and quantitative contacts with consumers. Includes both phone and direct face to face contact with clients, families and/ or significant others.
* Provide mentorship to peers, as needed.
* Provide support, psycho-education, advocacy, information and linkage to other community providers, services and events.
* Conduct escorts to Medical facilities, Public Assistance, Social Security, if required, and assist clients in becoming more independent by teaching them how to use public transportation.
* Work schedule includes holiday coverage to accommodate the coverage needs of the program when required, 24 hours/seven days a week availability to provide information and emergency consultation services and provide escorts to clients from ER, hospital and other settings to alternative level of care.
* Attends required in-service programs and trainings.
* Perform other related duties assigned or requested.
* High School Diploma or GED.
* Provisional New York State Peer Certification
* History of mental illness and at least one year of symptom remission.
* Person who has developed own recovery plan and has demonstrated relatively stable and successful management of his/her recovery.
* Knowledge of computer programs (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, & Outlook).
* Able to utilize technology conferencing tools including audio, video and /or web deployed solutions and accountable for hand-held devices (I Phone, Blackberry, I Pad, Tablets, Laptops, etc.)
* Knowledge of the second language is preferred (Spanish, Russian, Creole, Cantonese).
* We offer competitive salary and excellent benefits including:
* Generous time off (Vacation/ Personal Days/ Sick Days/ Paid Holidays annually)
* Retirement Savings with Agency Match
* Flexible Spending Account
* Life insurance
* Public Loan Forgiveness Qualified Employer
* Training Series and other additional voluntary benefits.
For more information on our organization, please visit our website at: www.ccbq.org EOE/AA.