| On Location / In Office
$21 - $21/hr.
Transitional Services for New York, Inc., (TSINY) not-for profit, is a comprehensive, community-based mental health organization located in New York City. We provide a continuum of rehabilitative services to enrich the lives of those recovering from mental illness and facilitate their transition to increased levels of independence. Transitional Services for New York, Inc. envisions broadening its rehabilitative services and becoming a regional social service provider. Transitional Services for New York Staff will deliver effective programs with compassion, integrity, and professionalism. We expect all staff to put our clients’ needs first while respecting ourselves and each other as we provide hope to those who participate in our programs.
TSINY is looking for a Peer Advocate Specialist for our Outpatient Empowerment Center located in Jamaica, NY.
Position Salary: $20.50 / hour
Provide support, encouragement and assistance to mental health consumers. Promote those activities that foster recovery and empowerment by sharing their personal experiences, when appropriate, modeling self-help and wellness activities. Applicant required to have personal lived experience with the mental health system.
- Peer counseling
- Mental health education
- Information workshops
- Advocacy training
- Entitlement workshops
- Housing-related services
- Homeless outreach
- Consumer rights education
- Conflict resolution
- Substance abuse counseling
- Cultural sensitivity training
- Consumer governance/technical assistance
- Self-help services
- ADL training
- Voter education/political action
- Interpersonal skill development
- Social network development
- Telephone outreach
- Be able to sit or stand as needed, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- May require walking, primarily on a level surface, for short periods throughout the day, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Be able to reach above shoulder heights, below the waist or lift as required to file
- documents or store materials throughout the workday, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- During a declared disaster, assume and adhere to assigned Job Action role(s) consistent with Disaster Preparedness Plan.
- Perform other related duties as required.
High School diploma or a combination of education and relevant experience to total four years and graduate of a Peer Advocate training program. Applicant required to have personal lived experience with the mental health system.