Staten Island, NY
| On Location / In Office
$40,193 - $49,405/yr.
We are seeking a Peer Specialist to help our clients excel academically! You will provide non-classroom instruction to students on an individual or group basis.
- Provide direct mental health services to clients in emergency, inpatient, outpatient, community support programs, and residential settings.
- Serve as a role model for recipients and educate recipients about self-help techniques and self-help group process.
- Teach clients effective coping strategies, sometimes based on personal experience.
- Assist clients in clarifying their goals for rehabilitation and recovery; and help them to develop support systems.
- Perform a range of tasks designed to assist recipients in regaining personal control over their lives and over their own recovery processes.
- Facilitate the development of self-help skills, support systems, coping strategies, and the increased hope and self-esteem that are central to recovery from a psychiatric disability.
- Demonstrated interpersonal communications skills
- The ability to empathize with, relate to and effectively work with recipients of mental health services
- Two years of active participation in mental health self-help activities, peer support or peer advocacy programs, or recipient run organizations or similar experiences or programs.