Join UP! We are lighting the path home, one person at a time.
About Urban Pathways
Since 1975, Urban Pathways has engaged New York City’s most vulnerable residents, people on the streets or in areas unfit for human habitation, “lighting the path home, one person at a time.” Urban Pathways is a catalyst for transformative change in the lives of unhoused adults, empowering them to discover their inherent strengths and abilities. We provide essential support and foster an environment where individuals can redefine their narratives and become their best selves.
Reporting to the Director of Social Services, the Peer Specialist provides and documents individualized services to assigned clients/tenants and promotes their self-determination, decision making and ability to live independently.
- Provides services and support for clients including but not limited to assessment, problem-solving, skills modeling, advocacy, training on daily living skills, and money management skills development.
- Conducts field work including but not limited to home visits, escorting clients to appointments, and outreach.
- Maintains and submits all necessary documents and reports as required by Urban Pathways, regulatory and funding agency policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Attends staff meetings, professional training, and supervisory sessions, as required.
- Maintains relationships with community services and resources.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- Completion of Peer Advocacy/Specialist Training Program preferred.
- Experience using behavioral health services (mental health, co-occurring substance use treatment) and/or involvement in the justice system.
- Clean driver license a plus.
- Veterans and/or experience with veterans preferred.
- Experience with homeless, persons living with a mental health condition and substance abuse population preferred.
- Good computer skills and/or ability to learn computer programs including Microsoft Office (i.e., Word, Outlook, Excel, etc.) and client data programs such as AWARDS.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team.
- Foreign languages a plus.