Garden City, NY
| On Location / In Office
$22 - $22/hr.
The Family Engagement Specialist is a Family Peer Advocate who develops and/or leads family support groups, activities, and workshops, and who manages the waitlist by providing families with case management and engaging them in family support services prior to their enrollment.
· Support families through personal experience parenting a child with special needs to reduce isolation and enhance their ability to care for their child at home.
· Facilitate ongoing parent support groups, workshops, parenting classes and activities.
· Provide services to waitlisted families and Nassau County residents, engage them in services prior to enrollment.
· Assist Department Supervisor in planning, creating, and scheduling of workshops and Family Engagement Events.
· Assist Nassau County clients who telephone, are referred to, or walk-in to the program in need of parent support and mental health resources.
· Assist Departmental Supervisor with monthly Family Center reporting requirements.
· Adhere to all agency guidelines and funding regulations including the timely submission of work.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS INCLUDE:
- High school diploma or GED required; college degree preferred.
- Must have parented a child with special needs. One-year professional experience working with children with an emotional disturbance preferred.
- Must demonstrate a knowledge of community resources, mental health diagnoses/symptoms and suicide prevention/ assessment.
- Family Peer Advocate Credential (FPA) required or attained within the first year of employment.
- Must maintain mandated Reporter Certification.
- Valid New York State driver’s license with a safe and responsible driving history; A properly registered and insured vehicle to regularly travel from one worksite to another.
· 35 hours per week, Monday through Friday.
· Hours will vary to accommodate evening support groups or activities.