Our Mission and Vision
What N.A.P.S. is all about.
Join us as we expand our grassroots movement in new and exciting ways. In demonstrating supportive relationships and friendships, the organization and all of those we influence along the way will become stronger. And we even have fun and develop supportive peer support relationships while working on projects together.
We learn together and grow in our ability to:
• Demonstrate compassion and hope;
• Gain Understanding of the human experience;
• Advocate on behalf of peer supporters;
• Combat stigma associated with people addressing mental health, substance use, or trauma experiences;
• Increase awareness of the benefits of hiring peer support specialists; and
• Disseminate research about the peer support workforce.
As an organization with international connections, we advocate for the national and worldwide wisdom that peer support providers have gained from their own experiences to be an important component in health care and in system transformation.
We believe peer supporters are, in many locations, an untapped resource for the health care system and those who are being served. We want to ensure that peer support is available for all people, everywhere. We also aim for better working conditions, compensation, and the adoption of trauma-informed and recovery-oriented practices.